It doesn’t matter how many innovative and disruptive tech developments occur over the next few years; having a high-quality storefront sign will always be important to business success. Whether they are acrylic, electric, or printed, having a strong branding on the exterior of your business is key to succeeding in crowded markets like Los Angeles.
When it comes to selecting the right type of exterior sign for your business, here are some things you need to consider.
Considerations When Selecting Your Storefront Sign
From the location and exterior finish of your business to the type of story you are trying to tell your customers, there are some major considerations you need to make when selecting your storefront sign.
1. Your Industry
A sign for a retro record store is going to have different goals than a diner, and these differences play out in the design, creation, and installation of the promotional sign. Depending on the industry you operate out of, the requirements of your sign can vary drastically.
2. Façade/ Building Exterior
Whether it’s stucco, brick, or siding, the facade of your business exterior needs to be incorporated into the sign selection process. A professional sign service will advise you on the structural and aesthetic impact that different building materials have on signage.
Ensure that the sign is easily visible and legible from a distance, especially if your store is located on a busy street.
Your sign should align with your brand image and messaging, so consider the colors, font, and overall design.
Consider the durability and maintenance requirements of different materials such as plastic, metal, or illuminated signs.
6. Size and placement
The size and placement of the sign should be appropriate for the building and location, and take into account zoning and sign ordinance regulations.
The cost of the sign will vary based on the materials and design, so consider your budget and balance cost with the sign’s visibility and impact.
If your store is open after dark, consider illuminated or backlit signage to increase visibility and attract customers.
How important is the visibility of your storefront sign?
Visibility is a crucial factor to consider when selecting a storefront sign. A sign that is not easily visible or legible from a distance may not attract the attention of potential customers. To ensure visibility, consider the following:
- Placement: The sign should be placed in a location that is easily visible from the street and sidewalk, such as near the entrance or on the roof of the building.
- Height: The sign should be tall enough to be seen over other buildings or obstacles that may obstruct the view of the sign.
- Contrast: The sign should have a high contrast with its background, to make it easily readable from a distance.
- Illumination: If your store is open after dark, consider an illuminated sign to increase visibility and attract customers.
- Legibility: The text and images on the sign should be large enough and clear enough to be easily read from a distance. The font should be legible and the colors should be bright and eye-catching.
- Viewing angle: The sign should be visible from multiple angles and directions, so consider the viewing angle of the sign and its location.
By considering these factors, you can ensure that your storefront sign is easily visible and legible, which can help attract customers and drive sales.
What should you consider when branding your store front sign?
When branding your storefront sign, consider the following factors:
- Consistency with your brand: Your sign should align with your brand image and messaging, so consider the colors, font, and overall design of your brand and use those elements in your sign.
- Logo: If you have a logo, consider incorporating it into the sign to help reinforce your brand identity.
- Color scheme: The colors used on the sign should match your brand color scheme and be visually appealing to your target audience.
- Font: The font used on the sign should be consistent with your brand font and be easily readable from a distance.
- Imagery: If you use images or graphics in your brand, consider incorporating them into your sign to help reinforce your brand identity.
- Message: Your sign should clearly convey the message of your brand and what your store offers. Consider using a tagline or slogan in addition to your business name.
By considering these factors, you can ensure that your storefront sign accurately reflects your brand and helps build brand recognition and recall among customers.
How much does it cost to build a storefront sign?
With so many options to choose from, it can be difficult to know how much you should budget for a storefront sign. Here are the various factors that affect the cost of building a storefront sign, so you can make an informed decision for your business.
The first factor that affects the cost of a storefront sign is the materials used. There are a variety of materials to choose from, including vinyl, metal, wood, acrylic, and plastic. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the cost can vary significantly.
Vinyl is one of the most popular materials for storefront signs, as it is durable, lightweight, and relatively inexpensive. A basic vinyl sign could cost anywhere from $200 to $500.
Metal signs are also popular, and offer a more permanent and professional look. However, they are often more expensive, with prices starting at around $1,000 and going up from there.
Wooden signs can add warmth and character to a storefront, but they also require regular maintenance and can be expensive, with costs starting at around $1,500.
Acrylic and plastic signs are durable and offer a more modern look, but they can also be more expensive, with prices starting at around $500.
The design of your storefront sign is another important factor that affects the cost. A simple vinyl sign with basic text and graphics will be less expensive than a complex illuminated sign with multiple layers and intricate details. The more complex the design, the more you can expect to pay.
Adding illumination to your sign can also increase the cost. A backlit LED sign will cost more than a non-illuminated sign, but it will also be more noticeable and attractive, especially at night. A backlit LED sign could cost anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000 or more, depending on the size and design.
Finally, the cost of installation can also affect the total cost of your storefront sign. If you have the skills and tools to install the sign yourself, you could save hundreds or even thousands of dollars. However, if you choose to hire a professional, the cost will depend on the size and complexity of the sign, as well as the location of your business.
The cost of building a storefront sign can vary greatly, depending on the materials, design, illumination, and installation method you choose. A basic vinyl sign could cost anywhere from $200 to $500, while a more elaborate illuminated sign could cost upwards of $10,000 or more. It’s important to work with a sign company or sign maker to get an accurate cost estimate, and to consider all of the factors that affect the cost when making your decision. With the right sign, you can make a powerful impression on your customers and help your business stand out from the competition.
What are the various types of Storefront Signs?
In conclusion, the type of storefront sign that is right for your business will depend on several factors, including your budget, brand image, target audience, and the location of your business. Consider the materials available and their costs, the design options, and the importance of illumination.
A vinyl sign may be a good choice if you’re on a tight budget and need a basic sign that is easy to install and maintain. If you’re looking for a more permanent and professional look, a metal sign might be a better choice. Wooden signs can add warmth and character, while acrylic and plastic signs offer a modern and durable option.
If you want to make a powerful impression and draw attention to your business, an illuminated sign may be the way to go. LED lighting is energy-efficient and long-lasting, and a backlit sign can make your business stand out at night.
Ultimately, the type of storefront sign that is right for your business will depend on your individual needs and goals. Be sure to work with a reputable sign company or sign maker to discuss your options and get an accurate cost estimate. With the right storefront sign, you can help your business stand out and make a lasting impression on customers.